12.08.2013

No Direct Translation?


When a phrase or a sentence in a language is translated to another, it loses its original meaning.

You may get the gist of the story but it ain't gonna be the same.
It's no fun anymore that way.Trust me, I know.

When I had almost zero knowledge of Arabic vocab,
I really had to depend on the translation to understand.
But when I knew a bit more, I was like

"OH OH I KNOW WHAT THIS WORD MEANS!!!" or
"I KNOW WHY THE GRAMMAR IS LIKE THIS NOWWW"
Call me a jakun, but it feels awesome :)

Now imagine if a whole book is translated.
What will happen?

Some information might be deducted or added and
it's not original anymore :(
But, y'know.. I'm at peace knowing that there's only ONE version of the Quran, in Arabic.

The same version that was revealed to Prophet Muhammad s.a.w
in the period of 23 years.

There are many translations, in numerous languages,
but they are not the Quran.

That's why when I share a verse of the Quran in English or Malay (the only languages I know, huhu) I prefer to insert the word 'translation' so people won't misunderstand.

No comments: